Friday, April 26, 2013

Superfund and The Lorax - Sarah Brown



For my piece I chose to do a short video that shows images of superfund sites and locations that have been adversely affected by mining or contamination. David Maisel, a brilliant photographer whose work has been praised for raising awareness about Superfund and mining sites, took the images. I paired these images with video footage of my roommate. I painted her face as a visual demonstration of the spread of pollutants in ecosystems. I chose to use a human subject because I also wanted to show the relationship between each individual and hazardous wastes. The model’s face is never fully restored to her original cleanliness. This is similar to how  remedial efforts are conducted.

 To quote Dr. Seuss' The Lorax, “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not,” I feel like this quote  poetically summarizes the environmental policy and law class, this video project, and the Superfund program. The responsibility to ensure our environment is healthy and safe lies with each person. It doesn’t happen on its own.

Link To MY Superfund Video 

No comments:

Post a Comment