Friday, April 26, 2013

Biking In All Of Its Glory - Tara Jibson

What is an environmentalist anyway? I identify as one myself, and I can point a finger at people who I consider not being environmentalists, but what really is the difference? Do I live any differently than they do? Is it just because I like to play outside and bathe in dirt that I feel like I can have claim to this title?

I believe in biking. I could find and reiterate all the statistics about carbon emissions and gallons of gasoline wasted and the impact of cars on air quality, but I think it suffices to say that automobiles create environmental issues. Considering that many car rides are trips that are under two miles, I think people ought to take advantage of the most efficient (and enjoyable!) mode of transportation man has invented: the bicycle. I really do believe that biking is good for people, good for the environment, and good for the economy. Rather than guilt-tripping others into riding their bikes to school instead of driving, with all of all those statistics of environmental damage, I try rather to take the approach of getting them stoked on all the awesome perks of biking.

Maybe if more people saw the appeal of bikes for truly all they have to offer, then more people would choose to put down the keys and pick up a helmet. Then if more people were riding, there would be a greater demand and push for better biking-conducive city plans. Then even more people would ride and that would be a good thing. So my video is in response to Tobin and Elissa’s post “Why do you ride?”




Link To My Animated Biking Short(s) 

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_FPnFc3unrPeHFncDJmUGdKckU/edit

1 comment: