Friday, April 26, 2013

Once, Twice, Tree Times a Re-Usable Bag - Makena Madsen

I decided to focus on the issue of plastic bags, and their excess use they have in this world. More specifically I researched the ban on plastic bags that has been implemented in various cities in California. For example, in my home town of Santa Cruz, California, not only are plastic bags banned, but they charge $.025 if you use a paper bag. This fee on paper bags and ban on plastic encourages shoppers to use their re-useable bags while shopping. For my project I decided to create my own re-usable bag out of materials that I already had. I found old plastic bags laying around my apartment, cut the bags in strips to make “yarn”, and then knitted the plastic yarn together to make a bag solely out of plastic. I then created a video which demonstrated that plastic bags can harm the environment, and then showed how I made my own bag out of plastic and how rather than throwing away your plastic bags, you can turn them into something useful. 


Link to my video

No comments:

Post a Comment