Sunday, June 17, 2012

Nathan Gill - Interactive Map of Utah and the Environment


Interactive Map of Utah and the Environment

My blog piece is an online, interactive map of Utah and the geographic impact of environmental policies (or lack thereof) in our state.  It can be accessed by going to ArcGISonline.com and searching for “Utah and the Environment” or by clicking on the link below:


The goal of my piece is to convey a large amount of environmental information in a user-friendly manner.  I’ve included a dozen different types of data, each of which can be identified by looking at the Map Legend tab. Visualizing all of this information at once can be overwhelming, so I’ve also made it possible to turn each layer on and off using the Layers tab. This way, each individual user can visualize as many or as few different topics of environmental information as he or she wishes.  It was my intent to make the map simple to use, and for this reason, the amount of information that is included for each feature is relatively limited.  For further explanation of data, please see my sources. While this map contains a lot of very specific information, I feel that it portrays five main ideas that I’ve learned more about in this class:

              
Sources
US Army Environmental Command (USAEC)
US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
Utah Automated Geographic Reference Center (AGRC)

No comments:

Post a Comment